Sunday, September 1, 2013



Supply

And my God will fully satisfy every need of yours according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus.Philippians 4:19
   A few weeks ago I was reading the book of Philippians and as I reached this verse I began to wonder if I could really say this with true conviction. You see these words were penned to the Philippian church as a result of their varied forms of support for him. The prior verses in this chapter articulate the appreciation he had for these people as they demonstrated their love and devotion to him in the form of financial and prayer support for him as he was sitting in prison for having continued to preach the gospel although the officials had banned such a practice. This church was the only one who continued to support in various times of giving often when he wasn't expecting it at all. He was so overcome with thanks for their support that he wrote in loving appreciation and continued to encourage them in their walk with the Lord.
   In saying what I said about wondering if I could really say this verse from now on with true conviction I wasn't at all saying that my God would not supply or fully satisfy every need. I was merely, and probably for the first time, realizing that Paul was actually giving them a lesson in sowing and reaping. Let me share with you the verses just prior to this beginning with verse 10: I rejoice in the Lord greatly that now at last you have revived your concern for me; indeed, you were concerned for me, but had no opportunity to show it. Not that I am referring to being in need; for I have learned to be content with whatever I have. I know what it is to have little, and I know what it is to have plenty. In any and all circumstances I have learned the secret of being well-fed and of going hungry, of having plenty and of being in need. I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. In any case, it was kind of you to share my distress. You Philippians indeed know that in the early days of the gospel, when I left Macedonia, no church shared with me in the matter of giving and receiving, except you alone. For even when I was in Thessalonica, you sent me help for my needs more than once. Not that I seek the gift, but I seek the profit that accumulates to your account. I have been paid in full and have more than enough; I am fully satisfied, now that I have received from Epaphroditus the gifts you sent, a fragrant offering, a sacrifice acceptable and pleasing to God. And my God will ...
   This passage of scripture is taken from the NRSV Bible. I have truly been enjoying the reading of this particular version. I don't know how many times I've read the book of Philippians or have gone through intense Bible study times while in this book but I have never seen this in the light I'm sharing with you. You see, I believe that the Holy Spirit led me to the fact that this statement can only be true in my life following my giving into the ministry of those in whom He places in my heart to support in whatever capacity He leads me to, i.e. cards, letters, encouragement, financial, or whatever way He sees fit. I began to give into the ministry of some people I had not been in a habit of giving to and although our income has not changed our outgo has. The Lord always makes things work out no matter how difficult things look around me. Our family is a blessed one and God has given us many avenues to minister. It seems that more of my outreach has lately been in a much different way than it has over the years I've devoted my life to serving the Lord fervently since 1982 when I really got serious and sought out His presence for my life.
   I know that my God will supply or fully satisfy every need but only as long as I meet the criteria and that is to support the spreading of the gospel of Jesus Christ. Pray and ask Him if He will give you a revelation concerning this nugget of truth for your life, as well, and begin to look for the various ways He'd have you to assist in the spreading of the gospel of Jesus Christ. Together we can see many more come to Christ and many who are following Him now through our obedience may become more serious in their walk in their faith in Him.
In His Love and Service,
Jennie Heberg (Mt. 6:33; Isaiah 55:12)


© 2009
©

No comments:

Post a Comment